Sunday, November 1, 2009

You're Going to Throw Me Off the Roof Now?




This is the Dave that the Lord has made.

I know it makes Bob nervous when I make religious references - sorry Bob, it's part of me, and I cannot hide it, nor would I want to... the cool thing is, I know you wouldn't even want me to, Bob, which I respect. So it's all good.

I had someone (whom I respect greatly) that recently told me I'm sort of wasting this platform (i.e. this blog) on relatively vacuous content when I should be taking advantage of this opportunity to be more spiritual... I don't know how to respond to that. On the one hand, I'm certainly not ashamed of my deep, abiding interest in the King. On the other hand, I know how ultimately empty theology is, and I find very few things more of a bore to read than someone waxing religious, especially if there are big blocks of scriptures added in. So I'm torn. (Get the scotch tape!)

So I keep it clean and light and fun when at all possible, with occasional reminders that I am, in fact, very squarely in the camp of "religious whacko". I just prefer to shrug off the usual trappings that accompany most self-professed whackos. So I'm a split personality, I guess... a religious person that can't particularly stomach religious people... is that hypocrisy?

Promise me life, and I'll confess the truth!

On a related note, I did something today I haven't done in a long time... I posted in the theology section of the Faithwriters forum. The good ol' "faith alone" vs "faith + works" debate. Used to hook me every time. I thought I was beyond getting hooked. Found out today that I was not.

Well, we had Maggie's costume party today. Here's some pics...


 The birthday girl, opening gifts with mommy...
----------------------------------------------


Here's the kids making their own pizzas for lunch... I haven't left the scene of the accident, I'm in it!

----------------------------------------------------


Overall shot of the festivities... you shouldn't knock misdemeanors...

------------------------------------------------


Eldest Daughter (as Hannah Montana) and RebJo (as the Roarin' 20's gal)... you gotta give me one thing... I'm a scary judge of talent...

----------------------------------------------




Where in the world is Abbie San Diego.... I did not burn you. I did not give you up to anyone!
-------------------------------------------------------


Jayson as Robin the Boy Wonder... A hero in these filthy lands.

----------------------------------------------------




Rihanna as the youngest in costume.....
-----------------------------------------------




Shannon, rockin a lip ring...
-----------------------------------------



Hadassah and Abbie, picture in picture...
----------------------------------------------------

Good times, I'd say. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Kind of wish I would have worn a costume... maybe next time. I suggested having a costume party for New Year's Eve... who knows if it will go anywhere... I'd definitely dress up for it, now that I've seen how much fun everyone had...

On a final note, NaNoWriMo has officially begun! I wrote some last-minute notes, defining the 7 different facets of magic I'll employ, and who will be the Council, and what they will wear and specialize in. All the pieces are in place. Wish me luck.  Best of luck to Havah, Logan and Crystal... and if there's anyone else participating that I don't know about, best of luck to you too!

Oh, by the way, I won Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker from Krista's book giveaway! Yay me! If I get it by the 15th, maybe I can get the author to sign it when he comes to San Diego on that day! Oh, that reminds me, Ken Scholes is coming on Monday... dang, I hope I don't forget...

Until tomorrow, remember, you better hold on to the coin you flipped... because this game keeps up like this, I'm going to have to borrow it...

22 comments:

havah said...

I don't think you're wasting this "platform" at all, Dave. Not all platforms are pulpits, and just because you aren't preaching, doesn't mean you aren't reaching. Besides, I think it's pretty clear to anyone who reads your blog where you stand with relation to God, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your specific "God posts" either. Anyway...

It looks like you all had a lot of fun at the party today. I've always wanted a masquerade-type party myself.

Thanks for the luck-wishing, Dave. Heaven knows I need it! :o

havah said...

Sorry, that should be "in relation to God".

Bob said...

Speedround:

"It is truth, but truth is not always appearance" = Sleepy Hollow

Damn... i need one more speedround quote to beat Krista!!!!!

Bob said...

Title is from Ocean's Thirteen

Bob said...

"Promise me life, and I'll confess the truth" = The Merchant of Venice

Bob said...

"I haven't left the scene of the accident, I'm in it" = ... And Justice for All

Krista said...

"you shouldn't knock misdemeanors"--Insomnia

"you gotta give me one thing... I'm a scary judge of talent..."
The Recruit

"I did not burn you. I did not give you up to anyone!" The Insider

And the Theme is Al Pacino movies!!!!
_____________________

That party looks like tons of fun!!! I love Abbies costume.... I love Carmen San Diego! My family used to sing that song to me all the time 'cause my middle name is Carmen, haha :)

Anyway, Dave, I like your blog the way it is, fun :)

Have a wonderful day everyone! Oh, and It'll be exciting to see who wins! WOOT! WOOT!

Krista said...

Oh and I wish you all luck on the Novel project!!!!

logankstewart said...

Dave, I feel you completely. On one hand it's as if we're too live every facet of our life proclaiming Kingship and love, but I feel that by doing that we're shutting some people down. I just try to let His light shine through, and on those occasional days when I feel I really need to write something spiritual, I do.

Sweet costumes all around.

David Wagner said...

20 points for Bob, 25 points for Krista! Still a few hours left, so it's anybody's game! Dang, how exciting...

Thanks for the encouragement, all. Let's see what happens...

Bob said...

I think this quote has not been claimed yet.. you better check, Dave.. there's a lot at stake ;)

October 2nd..

"Now to me, that's biscuits and gravy" = The Longest Yard

Bob said...

same post...

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now" = The Blues Brothers

David Wagner said...

Nosed around a bit, and it looks like those are, indeed, unclaimed quotes! Bob jumps ahead again, with 10 more points! ... good luck, Krista... you going to go try and round up some more free-for-all points?

Krista said...

Hey I'll grab the theme for the same post as BOB found those qoutes! And The theme would be Prison movies?

Krista said...

Or maybe the main characters were all in prison in the movie-- something along those lines away, right?

Krista said...

Oct. 19-- speed round!!!!

"I'm learning a lot about manure." Witness

David Wagner said...

Yep, those are all good points! 10 for the Oct 2 theme, and 5 for the "manure" speed round quote from the 19th. Ch-ching!

Abbie said...

ahahaha, Krista and Bob, you guys are fanatics :D Good job going back into the archives! Thanks Krista Carmen :) That is such a cute middle name! My sister, neighbor, and I always use to play where in Time. We took the longest time getting through germany and guttenberg, but once we finally figured that out, we beat the game :D

ooooh, dave, a costume party on new years would be very cool :) and you would DEFINITELY need to dress up! Thanks for having a fun party for maggs and inviting my fam. it was awesome!

Sodi said...

DUDE why do I look so .... weirdly formed in that pic? hahaha. I'm rocking a Nightwish shirt which is the best part..

Did you get my horse name I wrote down for you? I left it by the sink.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Best of luck to you all on your writings. I hope you all enjoy it and have fun writing.

Congrats on winning Warbreaker. I think you will really enjoy this one as well.

Man, you get all the authors visiting. I would love to have both of them here in my little part of the world for a signing. That is great!

David Wagner said...

Shannon - what's wrong with the pic? Is it showing up weird for you? Looks fine to me... And yeah, I saw the paper, but now that I'm looking for it, it isn't here. I'll find it... I remember Dapple Gray...

Thanks, Melissa - I'm sure I'll enjoy Warbreaker... Sanderson is solid.

Anonymous said...

I am the real Krista Carmen!