Thursday, November 12, 2009

All the Clutter Stripped Away for One Night...

Ah, these are dry days indeed. I wish I had an epic poem to lay on y'all, but no such luck. I think part of the cause is a mixed blessing - and that is, working on the novel. It's sort of tapping my creative reserve, which is usually spent on blogging. But my mind and energy are now elsewhere, which is a good thing, ultimately, I think... but that means I'm pretty much running on fumes lately, as far as blog inspiration.

This blog started out as me rambling about stuff that was on my mind - kind of an online diary I didn't think anyone would read. I kind of unpacked my heart with words (all due respect to Hamlet), and it was all good. Got to get some things off my chest, which helped. Well, I started getting people reading this thing, which honestly surprised me, and soon enough, I felt I wouldn't have enough interesting things to say to keep people reading, so I started embellishing the blog with pics and funny videos. I did some video blog posts of favorite movie clips, and I did a web comic for a while. I started recommending websites and articles. I tinkered with fictional intros, which was fun. Then I started linking to interesting stuff I found online. And now, that's basically all I do. My blog has become yet another nameless, faceless, soulless place online where the same stuff is recycled. Honestly, I'm not sure if I like the way it's evolved.

So in an effort to try to bring it back to it's roots, I set about today to write something personal and less generic... and I can't think of a blessed thing. I'll think of something and dismiss it as boring, or whiny, or something I've said before, often several times. I'm kind of at a loss.

So, I may jetison the whole approach and try something out of the box soon. Not sure what it will be. But between the corner I've blogged myself into, and the book I'm hooked into writing, I'm kind of wrung out and discontent. I know, there's far worse problems to have, and trust me, I know in the grand scheme, this is basically a non-issue. I'm just wondering aloud, that's all.

Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and everything will feel fine again, and I'll continue as I have been. Or maybe not. Until tomorrow, I truly hope all of you are doing well. I wish you only the best.

7 comments:

Bob said...

Hey Dave! Don't sweat it, dude... after all, this IS YOUR blog, we're just reading it... so if one day you perhaps decide that all you wanna write about is trees then by all means go ahead...

Good luck with the novel and have a great weekend!!! (the great weekend part is meant for all you readers...but not the good luck with the novel part, that's strictly reserved for Dave, sorry :P)

havah said...

Dave, you have a great blog with lots of personality, and filled with lots of personal stuff. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'd read you with or without the bells and whistles, because I like you and what you have to say.

So there! :p

Krista said...

Oh, Dave, I find your blog to be very entertaining and fun! The quote game is just icing on the cake :) I can honestly say I don't follow any other blogs that are quite like yours :) Have a good one, Dave, and don't worry about us Write that novel!!!


Hey and Bobo you have a great weekend too!!

logankstewart said...

Ah, the curse of drifting and straying from the original course. It's amazing how easily most of us get distracted and drawn into something else. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's not, but either way it's not what we expected. We've still strayed from our purpose. And when we finally realize it and look back on all the steps that put us there, we can't help but feel disheartened.

It's a tough juggling act, trying to entertain and keep readers, but also wanting to be yourself and do what you want to do. But my advice is to just be yourself and do what you want to do.

Ice cream can help, too.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

It sounds as it could be a good thing to be less here. You must really be doing a bang-up job on that novel. That is a great sign!

Rambling thoughts are great too. So, don't be to hard on yourself. This post was great. You are human and not just trying to entertain us. I like that once in a while as well.

Paula Titus said...

Great post today, would love to see more like it. :)

Crystal said...

Just be true to yourself. It's your blog, do what you want with it. Don't give in to the pressure of trying to keep your readers entertained. I highly doubt you would lose any of your faithful readers if you posted less frequently.

And if nothing else works, bust out the light saber :)