Friday, November 27, 2009

I'll Know if you Move, 'Cause I Have the Ears of a Snake!



 "Chocolate" or "chick lit", which one?

Twas a good, traditional Thanksgiving, like I assume all of you experienced... you Americans, that is... let us now give thanks for all our non-American blog friends (meaning, those not currently in America, that I know of...)... Bob, Marky and Peter! You guys rock! Too bad you're not American too... then we could get together and discuss politics and get fat. Actually, you are just fine the way you are, so be proud! I have to make sure I don't offend any of you, in case I'm traveling the world and am in your area and need a couch to crash on for the night... if I offend you, you'll probably wait until I'm asleep, likely weary with jet lag, and then dip my hand in a bowl of warm water so I wet myself...

How did I get on that again? Lemme re-read... brb...

Ah, yes, Thanksgiving. Lots of food, lots of leftovers, lots of good company. I thought I might get some writing done, but I didn't. I worked on the map, though. Ah, and it looks like I'll be able to keep that character after all, don't know if I mentioned that in yesterday's post... that third (an final, as far as I could see) way to reconcile the problems I was having seems to be working. Gone are the airships, Vye.

On a related note, Rebekah seems to be ok with me using her as a character in the story, so when I get to the part of the story where she'll be introduced, I'll go ahead as planned. One of the things I've had to wrestle with is introducing characters. I've had to do it in stages, lest I overwhelm the story with too many people too soon. A few choice characters I'm keeping in my pocket until an appropriate time; Rebekah is one of them. Actually, the other Rebecca is another of them. I'm thinking I'll keep "Rebekah" as a name, but shorten Rebecca's name to "Becca". Creative, eh?



55 foot Python, estimated to be over 100 years old, found in China, while clearing foliage in a remote area for a road. Possible hoax, but it certainly looks real to me. HERE is the link, if you want to check it out.

The great shopping deals are everywhere, even on Steam. They have tons of games available for sale, which you buy and download directly to your HD, which is cool. That's how I got my copy of Torchlight. Anyway, they have some great deals, including the Lucas Arts Collection of 16 games (most of them Star Wars titles) for $50... Logan, go HERE to check out the titles included, you might consider this one. And the one I'm contemplating, the THQ Complete Pack, of 18 full games (and expansion packs), also for $50. Titles are at THIS link.

The problem, as usual, is that buying them doesn't mean I'll ever actually play them. I guess it's like Wifey finding a crazy good deal on some shoes that she might never actually wear more than once, if at all, but they're such a great deal, she can't pass it up. I'd be far better off merely downloading demos for the ones I'd like to play around with, and if they really hook me, buy the full game. Man, the money that strategy would have saved me over the years...

Speaking of holiday gifts, I'm doing my traditional gift-giving strategy with the family again this year. I give them each a $$$ limit on Amazon, and they can drop items in the cart that they want. They track the totals (without shipping, of course) and I simply go on now and then and pull the trigger on the purchases. That way, they get good deals on exactly what they want, and I don't have to wander around at the mall on the 24th of Dec with my mouth open, wondering what last-second, full-price items I should randomly buy them... that was my strategy before shopping online, by the way... it sucked...

Going to work on my novel tonight, and tomorrow. Gonna try and get the main storyline(s) into a good 50K stopping point, and then flesh out the remaining two storylines as much as I can before the 30th. Then I need to decide how to proceed after that. Should I try to find that perfect stopping point, and then polish up that first half, and make it available for general consumption, or should I continue on in first draft mode, and finish the entire story, before beginning the re-write process? Each option has its pluses and minuses. I'll let you know when I decide...

I'm out for now. I hope your weekend is a great one.

7 comments:

marky said...

How many pairs of boots would a 55ft python make?

The best of luck with the book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Crystal said...

Great gift-buying strategy. Life was so much harder before Amazon.com. We actually had to leave the house to buy stuff...

logankstewart said...

Dude, if I played PC gaming then that would totally be awesome. Too bad I don't like my computer or actually playing games on anything other than traditional platforms. But an awesome find nonetheless.

Abbie said...

yay dave, glad you can keep the character :) sounds awesome! you can also shorten becca to Bec if she is a more rough and tumble innkeeper :)

i like that amazon idea! smart! we've made our life easier by setting a limit and picking names, so each family member is only buying for one person :) its nice!

See you Sunday!

Paula Titus said...

Rebekah is such an awesome name. Just thought I'd say.

That is a great idea for gift giving. Thanks for the idea. :)

Looks like you're in the home stretch for the book, way to go!

Unknown said...

I agree with you Paula. :)

Krista said...

I am a die hard Snake fan! Very, very cool they are!!!

That's an awesome gift giving idea, but I for one love shopping! lol. ;)

Good luck with your writing!