Sunday, November 29, 2009

You Could Have Stopped Me with One Word, but No, You Wouldn't...




Last day of November... are your Christmas decorations up yet?

Another quickie tonight. I wrote on the novel again last night, and it was unlike any writing session this whole month... I knew right were I wanted to take it, and it flew, it was awesome. I was so energized and rolling, I didn't want to stop. It felt great. But when 3:15 rolled around, I knew I'd have to get up this morning by 8am to prepare for church. So I forced myself to go to bed, even though I was wide awake and could have rolled...

Part of it might be the caffiene cycle I'm on... I wake in the morning, tired. I grab a coffee or energy drink sometime in the early afternoon, to keep me awake. It kicks in late afternoon and I roll until way late... then I collapse into bed at about 2am (except last night, as I said... I was firing on all cylinders at 3 and beyond), but I was a zombie this morning, it was brutal. So I grabbed a latte at about 2pm, and the cycle continues... I really should just force myself to bed at midnight and then have no caffeine the next day... try and balance it out.

Dang, you all didn't need to hear that, sorry. That was thoroughly skimmable...I'm free-associating again. Here, lemme post a cute cat clip, to break things up a bit...



In any case, I'm at 48.5K words... I'll pass my goal tonight. Then I will let out a victory roar, and gear up to keep writing daily. I think I'm looking at 100K+ words... probably a lot more... so much cool stuff to add!

Here's the Funny T-Shirt of the Day...



The two most important phone numbers, I suppose...

Here are some nice Christmassy Photos for you, as pleasant filler...


 



Hope you liked those as much as I do. I'm really feelin' Christmas this year for some reason. I hope that means it will be a good one. And by good one, I don't mean "get lots of swag", I mean, hopefully, I'll have some sort of breakthru in one or more areas, personal, spiritual, occupational, creatively, etc.

Lately on Facebook, for my status updates, I've been dropping a Beatle lyric, just to be innocuously vacuous. A friend commented that it was a shame that Christians listen to the Beatles, since they were (in the friend's opinion) a bad influence on society. I guess this gets back into the issue of Christians listening to secular music. Personally, I don't idolize or admire the Beatles for who they were or what they stood for - or at all, really. I know they were just people doing what they felt best to pursue what they loved and get through the day, like the rest of us. I feel no urge to take drugs or get into Eastern philosophy or "love love love" stuff. I just really like their music, as in musically. Lyrically, the songs are a mixed bag (IMHO), but there are many songs that just flat-out are awesome to me.

One reason I bring this up is that I replied to his comment about Christians feeling shamed for listening by saying "Well, I suppose you can color me shamed, then." Today I noticed he'd "unfriended" me. Perhaps it was mere coincidence, I don't know. I wrote him a private message and sent it to him, haven't received a reply yet. But I really do value his friendship, always have. I'd hate to think I've offended him.

That reminds me, I made a comment in jest yesterday at the play rehearsal that was spontaneous and didn't have much thought behind it. It kind of came out wrong, and I could see how it could have been interpreted as a thinly-veiled insult. I hate that I do that - I did that last year, too... make a comment thinking one thing and having it come out wrong and hurt someone's feelings. I wish life had a "control-Z" function, so I could undo stuff like that. I apologized to the person yesterday, and the person assured me it was ok, but still, I feel like a turd.

I guess I need a cookie...



A 35-layer Oreo... dang...

OK, I'm done for now. Gonna go crack the 50K mark, submit my manuscript to get an official word count, and pat myself on the back. Until tomorrow, remember, just pretend you're a janitor. Janitors are never terrified.

11 comments:

Bob said...

Lol, if i had a cent for every time i was thinking one thinking one thing, but said something that sounded completely different, i'd be rich! :D

I'm beginnning to feel Christmasy too! as in: depressed, tired, sleepy etc.. :DDD

Better start listening to that Sinatra christmas album!!! Woot!! :)))

Nice job with the novel, Dave!! One word comes to mind... Spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! ;)

Have a lovely Monday you all!

Bob said...

why doesn't my comment show up??? :///

logankstewart said...

Congratulations David. I see on my NaNo buddies that you've crossed the threshold and into the Winner's Circle. Awesome.

It sounds to me that your friend seems a little legalistic. An legalism, in my opinion, is never a good thing. How can we be lights in the world if we don't know the world? Bah. I love the Beatles, but I love Jesus more, so I don't see a problem.

Crystal said...

Blog five for meeting the NaNo goal!! Sadly, I did not. But I will celebrate your sucess!!

I'm always saying stuff without thinking it thru, therefore offending people. On the bright side, I'm constantly humbling myself asking others for forgiveness for the thoughless things I say.

I agree with Logan, your friend sounds a little legalistic. As long as the Beatles aren't an idol, you should be fine.

Love the Christmas lights pics!!

Abbie said...

hey dave! congrats!! I'm so proud of you! and totally stoked to read it when it is totally totally done :D
about the caffiene bit... maybe you should get one BEFORE you are exhausted, like at 12, and then it will kick in when you really needed it, instead of later!

David Wagner said...

Logan: Yep, I passed 50K, I'm official! w00t!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Still a ways to go, but I'm plug, plug, pluggin' along...

Crystal" Glad you liked the pics. I thought they were awesome.

Abbie: Good idea on the earlier caffeine...

Bob: Good to see you! You = The Man. Better go grab that Sinatra album...

Rebekah said...

Your sleep/work cycle is crazy. Thank goodness for coffee.

Whoever your facebook friend is they may have something to learn of helping a friend out with the speck while they have a plank in their own eye. Just my lil own opinion.

Also, your jest at practice was really funny... Or maybe we just needed a laugh. I know how it feels to say things you regret though. I have been doing it all weekend. So I can empathize with the terd feeling.

Anyway you are awesomeness.

Sodi said...

ahhhhh Dave, you're so slow to be angered. It bothers me just reading about your friend (which probably means I have something in me that needs to change still but...) uhhh! It's like who do you think you are? I admire you but I personally would not value a friendship like that. .. for so many reasons. I I I ... I better not say anymore :) because there is just so much to say, I might get myself in trouble.

I'm really feeling Christmas this year too! Isn't it weird? You'd think it wouldn't be as good as before because of the recession or whatever but since people like us don't really care about the money part of it I think it is so kool that we can still enjoy it soo much! I mean I am really in the Christmas spirit! Maybe there is a reason.... maybe some fruit will come of it. :)

I want to read your awesome book already! I can't believe you are writing it so fast.

Unknown said...

I concur with Reb and Avari.

Krista said...

Hi David!

First and foremost, Congrats on the novel way to go! That's very cool :)

I am so loving those pictures they brightened my day, because I just love everything about Christmas, always have. Man, though, I remember that wonderful feeling and utter awe I used to get when I was a little whippersnapper. I hope it's like that this year, so far it's been a rough one, but it's all good I'm still lovin' Christmas!!!

Sorry to hear your friend did that and what he did doesn't sound very Christian like to me...

We all have said something we didn't mean at one point or another. I know I have, so don't beat yourself up too badly...

Wishing you All the best, Dave!

Krista said...

Oh and awesome OREO!!!