Wednesday, February 18, 2009

They Call Me 'Legs Benedict'


Boldly, The Mighty Dave sits down before his keyboard, as Wednesday spins out its last 90 minutes, relentless, like the slow dripping of my kitchen faucet. He sits up a little straighter, adopts his favorite smirk, wiggles his fingers over the keys, and begins...

Saw my tax man today. Found out I'm going to be owing a nice chunk of change this year on April 15th. Well, it gives me two months to scavenge and save. Guess I should be more pro-active in hunting down legal tax deductions, eh? I thought my estimated quarterly tax payments were going to pretty much take care of things. Nope. Probably shouldn't have visited Starbucks 216 times last year, eh! Actually, I pulled that number out of thin air... I wonder how accurate it is..?

I finished Speaker For The Dead tonight as well, and I've come to a realization: I'm not as big a nerd as I thought I was! Cause for celebration! Sci-Fi doesn't quite do it for me. While I appreciate what Card did in writing such a smart, thought-provoking book, I found myself pretty much repulsed by the alien race he describes in detail in the book. I mean, humanoid/pig creatures that are born from a tree, leave the tree to live as an animal in the forest, and then are "planted" when they die, so they can become a tree themselves? Um... ok... Something tells me Card should lay off the Hookah pipe... Plus, the book is certainly not very flattering of the Christian religion (to put it mildly).

There were aspects of the book I enjoyed, but overall, I feel no need to try sci-fi again any time soon. I've got several more unread Fantasy series openers on my shelf - I think I'll stick with that for now. Yes, I realize there are similarities between the genres, but there are also notable differences. Oh well, different strokes, eh?

I'm getting more and more unnerved about the sinking of the economy. At the same time, I realize it will be a real, honest to goodness test of my faith in God to provide. Things look bleak and bleaker, but my mind went to this verse today while crawling up the freeway...

Philippians 4:11-13: I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I've lived for so long, enjoying life, enough money at hand, enough food in the cupboard, well-provided-for. I suppose I can do with a little belt-tightening. Probably strengthen both my character and my faith. We'll see, eh? Easy to say when things are only starting to fray around the edges a bit. We'll see how things are six months from now.

Got a Favorite Scene for you again tonight... let's just say that "you shall not pass" the chance to watch this scene! BUAHAHAHA!!! *cough cough cough* Oh, man, I am so witty!



If Aragorn had been the focus of this clip, I would have titled today's post "Here Viggo Again"! BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!! *cough cough* I'm on a roll! BUAHAHAHA!!!! *cough cough cough* Man, I gotta give up smoking those cigars...

Let me know if the twirling background in the "talking head" portion of the video clip is ok, or annoying, eh? Come on, it won't hurt you to leave a comment now and then, would it? Would it really hurt you at all to acknowledge my human existence? Hello? Is this mike on? Man, what a rough crowd...

I am going to go now. Until tomorrow, remember, you must wear your rue with a difference...

4 comments:

havah said...

I am reading, Dave...never fear. :)

You know, I'm not worried about the economy at all. Being jobless already, it doesn't affect me in the least. How liberating is that?!

I've been up all night, so will watch the clips tomorrow. My routine's gone south again, I'm afraid :(

btw...some of your recent posts have been touching on my own issues and thoughts lately. Interesting...

havah said...

Ooohh..great clip!
But the rotating background made me dizzy :(

David Wagner said...

Trying to break up the monotony of the clips. I'm not compelling enough as is. I guess I need to change locations more... it's just I normally film the footage late at night...

I'll come up with something. Maybe I'll set up a retractable green screen, and then put myself in different cities!

havah said...

You're perfectly compelling as is...don't go getting all cinematically insecure on me now. Stress is a killer. ;)