Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Nose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet



Ah, Valentine's Day. Romance or depression, you decide! Pick yer poison!

Remember your first crush? You do? So do I... and you should be ashamed of yourself! What were you thinking?!

Beautiful day today, actually. Wasn't rainy, but it was relatively clear and crisp. Got some work done, took the fam to the mall (our second home), came home, took a nap, and watched Burn Notice (on Hulu) and a movie called Ghost Town (on the DVD playa). Don't you feel enriched by knowing what I did today, eh? Dontcha?

Actually, I really enjoyed Ghost Town. Ricky Gervais is terrific, and the rest of the cast is great, too... even Tea Leoni, who usually grates on me. I especially liked whoever the actress was that played the doctor. She was a crack-up. I may post of scene of hers from that film if I remember to rip it before sending it back to Netflix...

Finished Ender's Game. Terrific book, as I said yesterday. Gonna start on one of the sequels tonight, if I feel like it later. We'll see... I drank a Rockstar energy drink, so I'm feeling a little weird right now. BZZZZZ!!!!!!

I was thinking today about the different forums I belong to, and how differently I present myself on each of them. I wonder why that is? On the Faithwriters Forum, I try to be mellow, light of mood, be respectful and post thoughts rarely and hopefully of some substance. On the Titan Quest forum I belong to, I'm the opposite. I'm juvenile and sophomoric, really, still light of mood, but usually only post to try and get a laugh. On the Amazon forum I belong to, I hide behind a pseudonym and act in turns serious and goofy. They can't figure me out there. On the Oblivion forum, I see how far I can bend the rules without getting banned - turns out I wasn't very successful - I was banned not long ago. They don't appreciate my type of humor there... on the Netflix forum, I'm kind of a trouble-maker. I caused an uproar there in the Prop 8 thread, and they've despised me ever since...it's funny, really...

Anyway, I don't really feel free to be "myself" on any of them - even here, I can't really cut loose. I have to hedge myself here. People I know read this, and I'd hate to have things filter back to people that would be hard to explain away. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy blogging. There's no rules, really. This post is typical - I can go all over the place. It's not like my writing is being graded by a professor or something. But I'm open and honest here, to a point. And I'd like to think I can mix enough humor and other things of interest in here to counteract the boring parts.

Well, we all have our walls, I suppose.

In honor of Valentine's Day, I post a scene from the movie Persuasion, from the Jane Austen book of the same name. I'm too lazy today to rip the scene, so I'm going to embed the link from YouTube. I couldn't find the exact scene only - it is included here in this clip, which is actually the last 10 minutes of the film.



Someone posted the whole movie on YouTube, in case you want to watch it. It really is well done, if you like that sort of thing, as I do on occasion. Anyway, that's that.

Until tomorrow, remember, talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved Ghost Town! I felt the same way about Tea Leoni too. The doctor was played by Kristen Wiig. She is a regular on SNL and is hilarious. My favorite actress on the show by far.

havah said...

You and I share too many quirks, Dave. :o Seriously, I was pondering the whole all-sides-of-me-don't-show thing again a couple of days ago too. I'm frustrated by the whole thing myself.