Sunday, June 14, 2009

We'd Better Get Back, 'Cause It'll Be Dark Soon, and They Mostly Come At Night... Mostly...



Lazy Sunday - not necessarily a bad thing, eh? In fact, I might as well post Lazy Sunday, from SNL right here... haven't watched it in a while...



Sorry to those outside the US... Hulu sucks like that. I tried finding a clip on YouTube, but they don't have the original, only parodies. Must be a lame copyright thing... here's a link to NBC.com that might work for you...

Church in the morning, as per usual. Taught the Sunday School lesson out of Proverbs this morning. You gotta love Proverbs - the "fortune cookies" of the Bible. Good shtuff. We discussed Proverbs 20:23 today...

Proverbs 20:23
Diverse weights are an abomination unto the Lord; and a false balance is not good.

No need to skip this part, Bob... it's not really saying anything "religious." It's just kind of common sense/common knowledge. Deal with people honestly, that sort of thing. We covered the idea of merchants back in the day, weighing out things for buying and selling with differing weights that are supposed to be exactly the same. Sort of deciding who to rip off and who not to, that kind of thing. I then tied it in to dealing with people in general - how we forgive certain people for doing the exact same things that we hold grudges against other people for. Kind of makes sense that we should "use the same weight" for all people.

Anyway, the kids seemed to follow (all 2 of them, lol), and so it wasn't a disaster like I feared it might be.

Still feeling really out of sorts, as far as where I am with God at the moment - you can go ahead and skip this part, Bob - I'm gonna wax religious... anyway, with camp coming up, and I'm going to be a counselor and all, I'm kind of concerned about it. I'm supposed to be helping kids out with their "walks" with God when I'm in need of a little help myself? I know God's big enough to use whatever tool is handy to do what He wants with these kids (and yes, I did just call myself a tool, lol), but still, I'd love to feel like I have my act together a bit more than I do now, before I'm put into that sort of "mentor for a week" position.

I also get to video record the week and edit together the camp video again. That's the easy part. I can hide behind a camera with the best of them. Point and shoot... just like Dave-O, only I use a camera and he uses something with a little more fire power... I say, "Wave to the camera!" and Dave-O says "Kiss your *** goodbye!"

Dave-O's post today is really good, by the way, if you're interested...

I played hookie from church service tonight. I had every intention of going, but at the last minute, I just said, "screw it". Not exactly the best attitude to have towards church, I think. I regret not going now, but it's a bit too late now. I guess I could get into the car and go hang out in the church parking lot for 90 minutes or so... Anyway, I stayed home and shot down attack helicopters with TOW missiles in Battlefield 2 instead. Don't tell pastor on me... I might get excommunicated for that!

I tell ya, though... there's nothing quite like the feeling you get guiding a TOW in for the kill while that same chopper is peppering you with fire. BOOM! You get that little "YES" inside and roar a little bit. "That's what I'm talkin' about! Hoo-ah!"

It's my mom's birthday today! Happy birthday, Mom! You = The Best.

Todayve In History: June 15
----------------------------------
- June 15, 1215: King John of England puts his seal to the Magna Carta. (His seal had Cookie Monster on it...)

- June 15: 1752: Benjamin Franklin proves that lightning is electricity. (Before that, they though it was God taking pictures)

- June 15, 1775: George Washington is appointed commander in chief of the continental army. (First order of business, get rid of the wooden dentures!)

- June 15, 1844: Charles Goodyear receives a patent for vulcanization, a process that strengthens rubber. (What did Spock say, I wonder...?)

- June 15, 1994: Israel and Vatican City establish full diplomatic relations. (OK, so the Pope and 2 Rabbis walk into a bar...)

To celebrate the passing of Stan Winston on this day last year, I'm going to post the trailer from the awesome 1987 film Aliens. The only movie I ever had to stop watching for a half-hour to catch my breath before finishing it...



Stan Winston was a visual effects supervisor, make-up artist and a director. He worked on tons of great movies over the years, including the Terminator series, Jurassic Park, Predator, The Thing, Batman Returns and Iron Man, along with dozens of others.

I need to wrap this up - there's a scheduled outage of eBlogger that starts at midnight (15 minutes from this moment) and I want to submit this before that time. I'll crank out the movie quotes again tomorrow. I think I've got my emotional sea legs back under me, at least enough to get back to some semblance of normalcy. Not that I've ever claimed to be normal...

Until tomorrow, remember, if you ever drop your car keys in a river of molten lava, just let 'em go, man... they're gone.

5 comments:

Bobinho said...

title is from Aliens

Bobinho said...

and thanx for warning me about the church and God parts so i could skip it :D

much appreciated ;)

marky said...

Happy birthday David's mom!
(So, you're to blame!)

Abbie said...

oh bob, it wasn't that bad!! goodness, it wasn't even a large paragraph :D anyhow, i understand whatcha mean dave. I'm going to be a counselor too and right now I am dealing with a lot of animosity so i'm trying to get over that before I start dealin with ppl. Have you tried talking to my dad at all? he and my mom will be there, so thats kinda cool :)
I like the part about proverbs...I know the verse but I never realized that I actually do that all the time... you know, someone will do something mean and I will be like, oh, thats just how they roll, but when another person does the same thing, i'm like, how dare they! haha, i'm so fickle lol :D
Thanks for the insite dave!

Paula Titus said...

Happy B-day D's Mom!

What is that insect in your opening, and what is on its bum? Some kind of praying mantis? I can't seem to look away...

I wouldn't be too concerned about the camp thing since we're always in a perpetual state of "needing help from God," know what I mean?

Glad you're feeling a bit better today! :)