Monday, April 16, 2012

"I Like Myself Better When I'm Writing Regularly." -- Willie Nelson


Nonsense. Nothing. Nil. Nada.

That's what I got today for "N Day". Not a thing. I have analyzed my Favorites List and I have come up empty. Not an N in any category. I have O's and P's a'plenty. I even have a Q or two for Thursday. You'd think N would be an easy one. But, nope. Oh, sure, I could scrounge and scrape my memory, and try to drum something up, but that's cheating. It wouldn't be a favorite then, would it? It would just be "good enough". You'd see right through that, and no mistake. And then you'd despise me, and withhold birthday and Christmas gifts this year, I'm sure.

Nope, ain't gonna do it. I'm half-tempted to just end the post here... instead, I'm just going to ramble a bit, post some random nonsense, and then go the heck to bed. It's been "one of those weeks," and I really want a newer, better one to begin.

I've been watching a lot of episodes of Inside the Actor's Studio online lately. A guy on YouTube called SirPsychoFlea has posted a hundred or so episodes, and I find them endlessly fascinating. I've especially enjoyed the episodes with Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and Jack Lemmon, but I have many, many more left to watch. I'll watch them until I get bored and move on to something else... It's actually educational as well as entertaining. Good stuff. Not sure how long they'll stay up on that YouTube channel before getting yanked down due to copyright nonsense, but the guy does have over 11,000 subscribers, and his channel has been active since 2006, so maybe Bravo is ok with it, who knows?

I saw this video last week, and I told my mom I'd post it on my blog. Since today is sort of a catch-all day, I might as well put it here... you might have seen it. It's about an old dude in a nursing home who was just about completely unresponsive. They put an iPod on him with music from back in his youth, and his response is really remarkable...



That's pretty wonderful, I think.

Still reading my way through Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie, which is Book 2 of the First Law Series. The title may seem odd, until you read the quote that it is taken from...

"We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged."
-- Heinrich Heine

Very cool quote. Not saying I agree with it, necessarily, but a cool quote nonetheless. The title for Book 1 is The Blade Itself, and comes from a quote as well...

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence."
-- Homer

As far as I can tell, the title for Book 3 did not come from a quote -- at least, it isn't quoted at the beginning of the book like the other two are. It's called The Last Argument of Kings.

Yeah, well, I told you I was going to be random today.


And that pic should win me Most Random Photo of the Day from, oh, I dunno, whoever gives away such awards...

Yeah, so, I have no idea what to do next... hmm...

You know what? Forget it, I'm done. Sorry, you can punch me in the shoulder next time you see me, if you feel the need. Plus, I'll send you, like, a quarter in the mail, or something.

Good Bye.

Dave the Nincompoop

PS By the way, I missed mentioning a Blog Milestone... the previous post (For M Day) was my 600th post. Man, that's a lot of hot air...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
I think "N" day is my favorite blog ever. I loved the joy and animation that the elderly man exhibited after listening to his iPod. Music is a catalyst, for better or for worse - in this case, for the miraculous!

Beth

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

The picture at the beginning of this post was jaw-droppingly beautiful. Just stopping by to say hi on the challenge.

David Wagner said...

Beth: Glad you liked that video as well... pretty awesome and inspiring.

Kathi: I try to find nice pics for the opening of every post I do... you should zip through some of the older posts and check out some others... Thanks for dropping by. I am now honor bound to go read your blog as well!

Mel said...

That video is amazing! Proves that music (and the arts) are more powerful than a lot of people give them credit for. Despite the randomness, this is a fun post!

Unknown said...

LOVED the video about Henry! Amazing to see. Thanks for posting.