Thursday, April 19, 2012

"He That Hath No Cross Deserves No Crown." -- Francis Quarles


That pic is supposed to be in Norway somewhere... nice. But I find that bridge in the background rather oddly placed. Looks like it connects to the rooftop of that building there... no doubt an optical illusion of some kind. Anyway, the colors are nice.

Quick post today for Q Day. I thought I could come up with a bunch of cute, quirky little Q-related items, or write a piece of fiction or a poem, or think of something... but my brain is just elsewhere at the moment. I'd elaborate upon it, but I'm sure it would just come across as a long-winded whine, and I can't risk my stellar, sterling reputation by doing such a thing... I mean, if you lose much more respect for me, you won't buy any more Dave Merchandise in the Dave Store! Then what will I do with all those whoopie cushions with my face on them? I still have boxes full in my warehouse, next to the crates of the Dave's Greatest Belches CDs...

So I'll just drop a Favorite Q in here and then see what's what...

Favorite Movie Characters (Q):


Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws (1975): Robert Shaw's performance in this film made the movie. Sure, Scheider and Dreyfuss held their own, but without crusty old Captain Quint, the movie would have been pretty flat. Lots of great lines/moments involving Quint, but other than his rather gory death scene, his most memorable scene is probably the speech he gives on the boat, where he describes the sinking of the Indianapolis...



Robert Shaw delivered some terrific performances through the years, including many war films, and even appearing in a Bond film (From Russia With Love) and with Redford and Newman in The Sting. He was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1967 for his performance in A Man for All Seasons (a film also featuring Paul Scofield, John Hurt and Orson Wells), a great movie if you have the patience of Job...

That's really the only Q I have for tonight. Shall I risk insulting you by adding filler?

I think not. If you're disappointed, you have my apologies... tomorrow is R Day. I'll make it up to you then...

Dave the Quiescent


3 comments:

Amanda Heitler said...

Robert Shaw, king of calm menace. He scared me witless in The Sting - which is the point after all.

Nice quote from Quarles as well :)

Anonymous said...

When jaws debuted, it was soooo scary - fast forward (watched it from my infant seat), and the captain does steal the show.

Beth

Sylvia Ney said...

Cool post for "Q"! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/