Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Decide That You Want It More Than You Are Afraid of It." - Bill Cosby


Tumbling, tumbling.

OK, so you know how a yoked animal every now and then pulls and bucks a little bit, trying to break free of the yoke, finding out quickly that the yoke ain't going anywhere, and that it's at the mercy of the one who yoked it? So it gets fidgety for a minute, then settles back down and starts to pull the wagon again?

Yeah, that.

Take a step toward diving into a rant best left avoided! Then pull back, take a deep breath, look around, find something inane to post, to change the subject...


Today is Star Wars Day! Even though the original movie was released May 25th, 1977, it was decided to have Star Wars Day celebrated on the 4th, so they could use the pun "May the fourth be with you." See, today is May the Fourth, see...

Yeah, nerds are cool like that. Nerds like me. Nerds that appreciate the utter coolness of a picture of Darth Vader behind the wheel of a roadster...

So I found out something cool today (speaking of nerdiness). I was at the mall near my house today, in the food court, and all over the Nathan's hot dog vendor are posters advertising the official Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Championship that is going to held at my mall on June 26th! All the big names (and big mouths) will be there, including Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi!

Yes, I will be there in the audience, watching it all unfold, video camera in hand. You can expect a full report on my blog that night, most definitely. I know you're all as stoked as I am about it! Getting to watch these world class competitors in action in the flesh would be like watching Brando live in a performance of Streetcar! Or Elvis with just an acoustic guitar in a coffeehouse somewhere!

(No, I'm not serious, sheesh! I'm making fun of myself!)

And now, two soccer players get a bicycle kick goal at the same time!



I wonder who they credited with the goal. Or rather, with the goooooooooooaaaaaaaaalllll!!!!

So I started The Folding Knife by KJ Parker last night. It's very compelling thus far, though there are two things that irk me. It's written in the present tense, with extensive flashbacks written in past tense, so it's a bit awkward. The second irksome thing is that it's written in omniscient tense, so it switches POV's constantly, instead of picking one POV and writing from that angle. So it bounces around between characters, making observations and thoughts between characters. I guess it just takes getting used to. The tale itself it gripping from the get-go, but the style is not my favorite.

And now, a shirt my brother John would no doubt have owned as a child...


I should Photoshop John's face onto that pic for him... Whoever thought of that design should win a prize of some kind. That's even better than the zombie-face shirt I posted a few months back.

Although the zombie shirt is pretty cool, too...

The LAN party approaches! I've been reading articles online about how to best prepare for LAN parties, etc. I found out today that Vye has to be out of town on a business trip, and won't be able to attend the LAN! Nooo! We are Team Vye! What will we do without him!? He's our tech guru who keeps everything running! Hmm... I guess I'll just have to man-up and learn how to do it, eh!? I'll have to go it alone, no matter how dangerous! Better bring a shark...


I'm sorry... I just don't care about LOST. I used to, but I just don't anymore. I don't care how it ends, who dies, who survives, what the numbers mean, what Dharma was/is, why there are alternative histories and present days, what the smoke monster is, who's really a ghost, etc. I... don't... care....

Thanks to all who chipped in input on the "you're beautiful" conundrum. Any further insights you want to chip in, I'm all ears, especially the female point of view...

OK, I'm out. I'm going to go try and snack my angst away, then stay up all night with acid reflux. Yeah, I know... I'm lame like that.

(Dave shrugs at his yoke)

Adios

5 comments:

havah said...

Nice Cosby quote. Wish someone had put it that way for me a gazillion years ago. Anyway...

Feeling restless, are you? It happens. Even to the unyoked.

I would love to go to that feeding frenzy aka eating contest. I can't wait for the blog post on it!

Looks like the guy on the left got the goal, but I'm not wearing my contact lenses, so who knows.

Omniscient POV, huh? Stephen King uses it really well. Interesting how different writers can use the same thing, and get different results. Well, sort of vaguely maybe interesting.

The dinosaur shirt is awesome! I'd love to get my nephew one.

And yes, Dave, the yokes on you. *major eye-rolling in session at myself*

Odhynn said...

May the Fourth ... [ cackles ]

Look, I'm courageous enough to take up debatable matters of philosophy and religion, but if it's female nature that's involved, count me out !

logankstewart said...

I didn't find out it was Star Wars day until it was too late to do anything about it... :(

I'm curious why you quit caring about Lost. I've stuck with it (and loved it) ever since it started. Sure, it had some slow stuff, but it never really got boring for me. And while some things seemed confusing or pointless, things are really making sense now. Once it's over, it'll definitely be one of the greatest feats of storytelling ever pulled off.

Anonymous said...

Just reading about the hot dog story made my stomach gurgle - gross.

Someone once said, "If you want to be treated like a King, than treat your wife like a Queen." If you do not have a reputation of sincerity, believability, or love, telling a lady that she is beautiful is like water on a duck's back - rolls right off, blah blah blah.

Krista said...

I want that Dino shirt! :D so awesome