Friday, September 18, 2009

Without Disappointment You Cannot Appreciate Victory


"September" or "accept timber," which one?

Aw, how sad, the week is over! Don't Fridays suck? I mean, a whole Saturday and Sunday stand between us and a brand new Monday, rife with possibilities! Think of it! Gads, sometimes weekends drag on forEVER! What will I do?

What? Read a good book, work on the website and go to Church on Sunday? Oh, ok! I'm good now that I have a plan. Thanks. I feel so optimistic! How do you feel?

Went to a pair of ear-related doctors' appointments today... Oh, great, I guess I'm turning into one of those old dudes that think it's interesting for people to hear about my medical problems! Nooooo! Ah, well... when you get to be my age, you take the fun where you can find it... So, the ringing in my left ear has stayed the same since last year, as has the level of hearing loss. That's ok... no one around me has anything interesting to say anyway.... BUAHAHAHAH!!!! (Hint: the all-caps laugh there means I'm kidding...)

Remember the other night I mentioned an acquaintance of mine that is participating in an "American Idol"- type competition for Broadway actors called Next Broadway Sensation? Well, he did awesome in round one, singing Mr. Cellophane from Chicago. I'd embed it here, but the video player the site uses doesn't offer embed code, but here's the link... It's so cool to see him succeeding. I hope he hits it big time. Cuz then I can parlay our acquaintanceship into a small speaking part in a movie, thus fulfilling one of my life goals! Ah, nothing says "hypocrite" like using someone else's success to advance yourself...

Funny Picture Time!


I figured I better get to this funny pic now, before the story evaporates from public awareness... There's also a video clip someone edited of Kanye interrupting the President's speech, if you haven't seen that. Pretty amusing, in a shallow, transitory, here-today-gone-tomorrow type of way...

Question: What's the point of pre-ordering a game if it's going to take a week or more beyond the release date to get it? I ordered Scribblenauts from Amazon, got no break on the price, got no bonus goodie for ordering ahead of time online, and the estimated shipping date is 9/22. I could have gone to Target or the mall on 9/15 and bought it and have been playing it since! What gives!

Do you pity me? How's your Sympathy Meter? Is it working? What! Zero sympathy! Man, what's a professional whiner have to do to get some empty sympathy around here? I mean, I'm being forced to wait for a game! Let that sink in for a moment... do you feel the weight of it? It's like part of you is now missing, right? It's like there is a slowly-expanding hole in your soul, right? Right? You waited too long; no prize for you.

All right, fine, I'm a tool, whatever...

Here, let me distract you with another Funny Picture...

This is a fooz table at an arcade in Heaven. So we all have that to look forward to...

[Recommendation of PostSecret removed. No longer recommended.]

Well, I guess I'll push it back into "light hearted" again by posting this funny White Ninja comic...


Theology Question: Do you think God finds people fascinating, or is He bored with people?

In watching No Reservations lately, and seeing the different countries and peoples and cultures and cuisines, I find it endlessly fascinating. People are so different, it's weird. I find myself really hooked by that kind of stuff... "Anonymous" left a comment yesterday, in reference to my eulogy bit, asking why I'd want to have it said that I traveled and met different people if my bio says that I'm anti-social and feel more comfortable with people from a distance. Just because I'm not that good with people one-to-one in person doesn't mean I don't wish I could be... I'd like to be able to mix better with people, and get out more, instead of sitting on my slowly-increasing buttocks in front of my computer all day... I'd love to go out to Scotland and hang with Marky, or out to Slovenia and chill with Bob for a while and see the place, or Australia or wherever... But I don't know if a person can make that sort of fundamental change in his/her own personality or not... It's impossible. But doable.

Anyway, I guess it's safer to travel the world from the comfort of my own office, living vicariously through the host of some travel/food show... let them spend the hours traveling, deal with the heat or the bugs, eat the occasional meal that gives them Montezuma's Revenge, while I stay in my climate-controlled safe corner, eating snack food and feeling my arteries clog, as life marches on by... it's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything...

Great... now I'm depressed. I need another White Ninja comic!


Ah! Much better! I know, I know... I always feel like I have to apologize because I find absurd humor to be so funny... with all due respect to a certain spinach-eating sailor, I am what I am.

In honor of Rich Mullins' death on September 19, 1997, here's a audio/video clip of his song, If I Stand.



I think I'm gonna roll for now. You remember the day I went out for cigarettes and didn't come back? You must have noticed... Anyway, until tomorrow, here's to the fear of being trapped!

9 comments:

havah said...

Great pic. I'd love to go swimming there.

Sorry to hear that about your ears. My mom has tinitus...horrid.

Glad to hear your friend's doing so well! That was a great performance. Lord knows, I could never do something like that.

Umm...yes...I feel terrible sympathy for you. Really.

Oh, hey...they had a cop show that had a website like that PostSecret one in it. I can't remember what the show was (CSI maybe?) but it's interesting to see such a site actually exists. Kinda makes you wonder...

I'd travel in a heartbeat if I could.

Hmmm...Rich Mullins...great performer.

Quotes:

Title: Gone in Sixty Seconds

"You remember the day I went out for cigarettes and didn't come back? You must have noticed." -- Ocean's Eleven

Final line: The Thomas Crown Affair

Theme on the other.

havah said...

Nevermind...I'll do it here. Theme is heists/professional thieves.

David Wagner said...

15 quote points and 10 theme points for Havah the Great!

Abbie said...

it's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything = Fight Club
You waited too long; no prize for you = Matchstick Men
I feel so optimistic! How do you feel = Italian Job (AWESOME MOVIE!)

lol dave, i like that fooz table! that would be intense...

David Wagner said...

15 points for Abbie! woohoo!

logankstewart said...

By the way, I love White Ninja comics.

David Wagner said...

10 White Ninja points for Logan!

Krista said...

Oh, your friend did a really good job! Very funny! I love the White Nija, too!

Krista said...

Oh, and that Fooz table is pure awesomeness!