Sunday, February 28, 2010

Repay Them for What Their Hands Have Done, and Bring Back Upon Them What They Deserve. (Psalm 28:4)



"Technical" or "neck tickle," which one?

Greetings to every last one of you, plus all of your friends and loved ones! In fact, I will now name all of you, full name, plus city of residence, city of birth, height, weight and favorite alcoholic beverage! I will then divide you all into teams, based on nationality, region and gender, and pit you against one another in a variety of embarrassing party games (for my own amusement, mostly) in order to determine who my biggest fan is! Sort of a Dave Olympics, if you will... the winner will receive a lifetime subscription to this blog, a Dave T-shirt, a ringtone of me belching a verse from Psalms, my brother John's old grimy Alienware keyboard, and a foot massage from the person who ends up in last place!

OK, fine, we won't do it... I guess I'll just have to live with not knowing who my biggest fan is. (Mom!)

Cool sink! If I had a red bathroom, I'd have this cool sink installed... the mirror is cool, too...

I watched The Hurt Locker last night. Got it from Netflix. I had heard almost universal praise for the film, and was all set to love it. Funny thing, though. I didn't love it. I felt it was too contrived. There were several scenes where my reaction was, "Oh, come on!" I'd give examples here, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Let's just say I was quite underwhelmed by the story, the acting and the overall vibe. It was just so Hollywood, you know? It was made worse by watching the "making of" documentary on the extras. Man, the director sure thinks she's hot stuff. Everyone (especially the screenwriter) just came across as so self-satisfied, like they were curing a disease or something, rather than just making a film. I was bummed! I just assumed I would really like it!

It reminded me (in a way) of the movie Backdraft, which had a series of spectacular fires in rapid succession. Firemen that were interviewed about the film said the average fireman might see a fire like one of those featured perhaps once in his entire career. They just crammed a bunch of them together to make a good action film. Cool movie, wholly implausible. Pure Hollywood. And in Hurt Locker, it struck me the same way. Only there were also other scenes that just struck me as illogical.

OK, I'll give one example. In one scene, the three-man explosives team (which is the focus of the film) is called to an Iraqi warehouse to dispose of a large cache of explosives that were found there. When they arrive, there are a couple dozen other soldiers around the place, outside. It turns out that the big facility hadn't even been secured yet. But instead of sending a dozen trained soldiers in to sweep and secure the place, followed by the bomb disposal team, the soldiers all stand outside and make the three bomb experts sweep and secure the place! Explain that to me! They find water boiling in a pot on an abandoned stove, and cigarettes still burning in ashtrays, but still call out that the place is secure, and begin assessing the explosives laying around (the insurgents had been making IEDs there).

It's stuff like that that makes me roll my eyes and wonder what the heck the screenwriter was thinking. There were other scenes, but I'll let it lie for now.

Do I recommend seeing the film? I don't know. I guess. Many people seem to like it, so perhaps I am out of my gourd. Give it a shot. If you have seen it, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on it.

Shifting gears...


Yes, that's my sister Lisa on the far left there, and yes, that is Paula Abdul second from the right. I'm such a name-dropper! My sister gets to hang out with famous people now and then! This past weekend, before jetting off to Bali on business, she spent some time in San Francisco with the Genius Network Mastermind Group, and their newest member, Paula Abdul. I just think that's cool. She also worked with the founder of Twitter, and Tim Ferriss (author of The Four-Hour Work Week).

Yeah, she's smart like that. Hope she has a great trip. I told her to tell Paula I said hello...

Shifting gears yet again...

My brother John sent me a link to a video clip of a new DSi game that is coming out overseas that blew me away. I am going to post it now - you have to see this!



You'll pardon me if I continue the trend and call this "wicked cool"... apparently, the DSi has a built-in video camera that everyone was scratching their head over, wondering why on earth Nintendo would include such a feature. Well, these developers use the camera, combined with facial recognition software, to tell the DSi where it is in relation to your face, and adjusts the display accordingly, so it looks like you're looking into a 3D box display. Well, you saw the results in the clip there. Way, way too cool.

There were a couple other cool games I was going to post about, but I need to get back to work, so instead, I will post this picture...

Ad Placement Fail!

... and call it a night. I hope your week is a good one.

Dave the Goof

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Nice opening pic. The dude standing at the top of the rock formation is brave!

That sink is awesome! I don't like the mirror, but the trash can is unique.

Don't think I'll be flying with Turkish Airlines anytime soon...

Unknown said...

You know...that sink can double for a urinal too. LOL.

Abbie said...

eww reb, thats gross :P
Nice pics dave! and thanks for the proof that Paula and Lisa really were together! thats perty awesome!

logankstewart said...

@Dave: No Way! I watched The Hurt Locker o'er the weekend, too, and had similar feelings. Indeed, at the exact scene you mentioned, I thought the same thing. Plus, just knowing that my brother is going to be driving through the roads of Afghanistan, in danger of IEDs, left a sour feeling in my mouth. Nah, I definitely don't see what all the hype was about.

@Rebecca: I thought the same thing!

WV: trashe, the Olde English worde for trash

David Wagner said...

Crystal: I wonder where that opening pic was taken at? Hopefully not Turkey...

Reb: I don't know if that sink could bear someone's weight or not... oh, you meant a urinal for guys! Got it...

Abbie: You're not raising Rebecca right!

Logan: Glad I'm not alone in my assessment of Hurt Locker. In fact, this morning, I saw an article about it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/25/AR2010022506161_pf.html

Apparently we're not the only ones who grumble about that movie!

I watched a Richard Roper bit today with his Oscar predictions, and he thinks Hurt Locker will beat Avatar for best pic. I can't imagine either of them winning. How sad would that be? They both had their merits... but Best Picture? Hardly. But was there anything better this year?

logankstewart said...

I think my favorite was District 9. It had an intriguing plot, great cinematography, and excellent acting. Definitely deserves the win over the other two.

Krista said...

That sink is pretty neat looking but I think these guys have kinda ruined the idea of having one. lol :P

That game looks pretty cool, too, but I've never been one for video games except, of course, Super Mario on the 64. Best game ever! :)

Oh, and I wanted to share a blog I came across that I also told Logan about that you might enjoy, as well. Or, at least, the first story there I haven't really gone through the whole blog...
http://www.elizabethesther.com/