Wednesday, February 10, 2010

He Asked You For Life, and You Gave it To Him. (Psalm 21:4)


OK, fine, you caught me! I walked into this blog post with nothing to say, and no other agenda than to force that ugly political rant down a notch, so I don't have to look at it anymore! I mean, who do I think I am?! First, a ridiculous political rant unleashed upon an unsuspecting, innocent blog-reading public... and then to leave it up, front and center, for two whole days! The nerve! The gall! The unbridled hubris of it all!

You got me again... that opening paragraph was just a long excuse to use the word hubris... man, you are seeing right through me tonight!

That must be weird, being able to see right through me... here, let me test you... what did I eat for dinner? Yeah, I know it's all mushed up by now, but maybe you can still tell what it was... if you squint just right. No? Sheesh! Some superhero you turned out to be...

If you could see right through me, you'd be able to look into my head and see what I was thinking... then I'd really be ashamed... that's all right... a little shame is ok once in a while... it keeps one young... or is that vitamins? I don't know, I get vitamins and shame mixed up all the time...

Well, I told you I didn't have anything to say! What did you expect! This is free-association blogging at its worst!



I finally ditched Erikson for Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson. Right from the prologue, I can see it's going to be a winner. I've decided as I read, I'm going to focus not just on the story, but exactly *how* he is accomplishing the telling of the tale. I want to see how he handles character description. How he paces the introduction of new characters. How many words he spends in describing the settings of each of the scenes. These are problem areas for me in my novel... I'm hoping to learn from someone that obviously knows what he's doing.

One thing I need to overcome is my distaste for corny character description... "Her jet black hair cascaded down past her shapely shoulders, and made her sky blue eyes and ruby red lips stark in contrast"... gimme a break. I hate stuff like that. So I avoid it altogether. A common comment I get from the writer's group is "I like the action and the dialog, but I have no clue what your characters look like!" It's probably made worse by the fact that I know what the characters look like in real life, so I subconsciously don't see the pressing need to describe them.

Harsh Segue! OWWW!!!!!

I saw on Wednesday that "they" are going to make another Superman movie ("they" = whatever studio it is, I don't recall), and that they've hired Christopher Nolan to oversee the film. Of course, Nolan is the man that did such a killer job rebooting Batman with the two most recent Christian Bale films. "They" are hoping for a similar reboot to Superman, meaning darker, grittier, truer to some of the classic storylines. And yes, they are starting from scratch a third time with the series. That latest Superman debacle (in 06) is thankfully not getting a sequel. They're starting over from scratch, and hoping Nolan can work his magic again.

He won't be directing it... just overseeing the scriptwriting and producing. He is already working on the third Batman script with the team that wrote the first 2 films with him. Yay! I like me some Batman...

Slip me some fin!

I gotta run and finish up some Piranha work, so I can get some $$$! Then I'll buy you all gifts and you'll all love me again!

Good thing my political rants are only twice a year...

Until then!

Dave

3 comments:

David Wagner said...

Dude! I soooo left the first comment on today's post! That is, like, so flippin' cool!

I win.

logankstewart said...

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Brandon Sanderson does a weekly podcast (with 2 other writers) called Writing Excuses. I've listened to a few, and they're ripe with excellent information. Highly recommend, and there's a ton of stuff to look back on, too.

I loved the prologue of Warbreaker...

I love Christopher Nolan's films, too...

WV: ookerthp--a small, scaly rodent of the Pygymygymalian culture.

Abbie said...

i really really want there to be a 3rd batman! I love christian bale and the other two were amazing. good stuff!