Monday, February 1, 2010

He Shot His Arrows and Scattered the Enemies, Great Bolts of Lightning and Routed Them. (Psalm 18:14)



Greetings!

Quick post tonight. I think my lengthy rants are driving most people away. Probably a bad move to paste all that text in from that interview... I just thought it was thought-provoking. Or maybe it's the scripture verses in the titles that are off-putting... whatsamatter? You don't like the Psalms?

Anyway, I found an article on How Stuff Works about IMAX and what makes it different. Turns out there are two types of IMAX experiences - and one of them is projected on the inside of a dome-shaped screen! So I was sorta right! The main difference seems to be the size of the film that is used - about 10 times the size of traditional 35mm film. The pictures are orders of magnitude more detailed, so traditional movie-making shortcuts won't work. It makes filming much harder and more costly, and much slower as a result. The article says a normal movie can set up and capture between 10 and 12 shots a day, and the IMAX can do maybe 3. The equipment is bulky and unwieldy.

Anyway, there are other details on the differences/benefits, if you want to give the article a quick read, it is HERE.

On a completely unrelated note...

I remember reading last year sometime about a cat in a nursing home that seemed to know when one of the patients was about to die. It would hop up onto the patient and curl up on it, sort of on a vigil, and usually the person would pass away that day/night. They thought it was odd... none of the other cats exhibited such behavior...

Anyway, there's an updated article detailing the cat's continued exploits, which they have now written a book about. Apparently, the cat has accurately predicted 50 deaths now... they've even tested it by putting it on beds of patients that the staff thought were about to die, and it will bolt from the room. Then it will find another patient and stand vigil. The only explanation they can come up with is that it can somehow smell "ketones", which are apparently given off by cells that are dying en masse.

HERE is that article. Read it and marvel along with me!

Of course, the alternative explanation is that the cat is a villain, and is somehow killing these people for the insurance money! MUAHAHAHA!!!

As promised, I will end this post here. I have my weekly Writer's Club meeting on Tuesday night... a few more weeks and I can officially start being snobbish about it. There's a probationary period of 1 month before I'm allowed to start wearing the beret and the John Lennon glasses. At the six month mark, I can opt for the brandy snifter or the foot-long cigarette holder. I'm looking forward to that, of course.

Until we meet again!

Dave

Congrats to Abbie for demolishing me at Facebook Scrabble, getting a staggering 509 points. My high score is 495, which she laughed at as she flew by it... good work Abbie! Now get back to helping Vye to save the world already!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Dave-sorry I have been absent from blog world. School is stealing my brain time, and subsequently my energy and attention span.

I am looking forward to seeing you rock the beret and glasses. Just remember us little people as you enter author stardom : )

Go Abbie! I pretty miserable in Scrabble. Thanks for being a good sport about it though Dave.

Anonymous said...

The lack of response could be attributed to the fact that you don't post daily. When your followers check in, they most likely read the posts that they have missed, but don't bother to post on the older stuff? Just a thought....

Odhynn said...

It's kind of anticipated, people not commenting on older posts. Who would notice them ?

Crystal said...

I haven't been commenting lately because I've been so busy at work (my usual time for reading blogs) and by the time I actually get around to catching up on posts, there's usually 2-3 to read.

I totally think the cat is the villian!!!

David Wagner said...

oh, and here I thought it was because I had bad breath or something! Cuz I can lean a little further away from my monitor if that will help...

Didn't mean to come across as whiny. I know you all have lives, and it's all good! I was just riffing out loud again...

I wish you all the best! You know this! Even Ann, and I don't know who he/she is!

Sodi said...

Hey! I love the Psalms. I like the verses at the top better than the movie lines. I just read about that cat yesterday. It would be neat, if you liked cats but if you didn't......

Abbie said...

yes, i love the psalms too! they usually speak right to how my day is going...

lol, i think House, M.D. did an episode about a cat, lol. But in the end, it turned out that hte cat just wanted to be warm and the dying person's body was giving out the most heat. Or something like that. I didn't watch it, just read the recap lol.

Thanks for the shoutout! You definitely are coming back though this next game :P no way I can pass you now!

Paula Titus said...

Thanks for the IMAX info - always wondered what the difference was.

The cat thing is interesting, and a bit creepy too. :)