Tuesday, April 2, 2013

You Never Bring Me Chocolate Potatoes Anymore...


Greetings, and welcome to post 700! [cue the fanfare]

Thank you! Thank you all! 700 posts represents, according to my calculations, about 484 cubic yards of hot air in text form. Good thing I had the industrial-strength ventilation system installed in the blog back in '09...

So the pressure was on to come up with something special for this post, but I couldn't think of much ahead of time... so I figured I'd just do what comes naturally, and just start it and see where it goes...

Guess I'll start with Easter. The Easter program we performed at church was really strong, and well-received. The pastors felt God was well-honored by it. I was able to video record it using my iPad mini, from the aisle, so the picture is shaky, and the audio questionable, and really I was a bit too far away... but still, I think a portion of the strength carries through in the results, regardless. Of course, nothing like it was in person, but, hey, such is the nature of the medium... give it a bit to get rolling, it ramps up nicely.



You can watch it high-res full screen, if you wanted, if that window is too small to see. Love the song at the end. That's me with the big purple flag at the end. All in all, not bad for about 3.5 weeks' work, I think. A few things I'd tweak, given more time, but overall, I'm super-stoked with how it turned out.

Next, remember that audio drama I auditioned for a couple months back? The "5 Minute Classics" version of Pride and Prejudice? I got the notice from Glenn that it's live, and I gave it a listen today. It's as fun as cool as I thought it would be. I'm going to audition for more, I think.

Here's the link to the page where the audio is at, if you want to listen to it. I'm Mr. Bingley. He didn't use all the lines I recorded for it, but I'm sure that's due to time constraints (gotta keep it 5 minutes!). It was a fun experience. I look forward to trying more. He's prepping "Miracle on 34th Street," so I hope to sneak some audition files in before the deadline.


So my current fascination is acting. It's like playing Fascination Roulette. Round and round the wheel goes... whatever it stops on has my full attention. I'm really getting into the new classes I'm taking, plus I'm watching lots o' episodes of Inside the Actor's Studio on YouTube (thank you SirPsychoFlea!), for what that's worth. True, actors strike me as sort of overly self-important and self-congratulatory... I fear some of them might injure their arms patting themselves on the back. Of course, I've also been watching the City University of New York video series that focuses on theater actors (Broadway/Off-Broadway), and those guys are even worse... still, the acting bug has bitten me, and I'm all in at the moment...

That presents a fear, in a way... I know this is how I operate. I'm all in, and then one day I'm all out and onto something else. If I get neck-deep in some film/play/schooling project(s), and then wake up one morning and the fire is gone.... Well, I'll just have to face that if/when it happens.

My good friend Todd F. is interested in taking the acting classes too... that would be fun if he could join us. Although his focus is more from the angle of a director... he wants to learn the acting craft better so he can better understand actors, when he's working with them in a director's capacity. We'll see how that plays out (unintended pun, Beth!).


I haven't lost the reading bug quite yet... slowly heading toward the end of Rachel Aaron's book The Spirit Eater (Eli Monpress #3). Something about Books 2 and 3 in the series seems lacking, compared with the first. Maybe it's my imagination, I don't know... I mean, they're good reads... but still, the wonderment and joy that ran under the surface of the first volume must have been difficult to maintain... Still recommend the series highly, especially the first book.

Random Nonsense: Thinking of getting my teeth fixed. Tired of being a snaggletooth. Veneers, probably. Thinking of selling my Hyundai and using the $ to fund the lease of another Sentra. Still waiting to hear from my tax guy, as far as how much $ I have to fire off to Uncle Sam this year. Used some of the WRX $ to get the fam year-passes to the Zoo/Wild Animal Park (they are stoked). Pixar continues to ruin great movies by creating sequels. They've just announced a sequel to Finding Nemo... *sigh*

Well, I hoped that if I wrote long enough, I'd somehow create a fun post for 700. Swing and a miss, eh? Ah, well. This being April, I could have done the A-To-Z Challenge again, and blogged my way through the alphabet again... but I wasn't feeling it, sorry. I apologize to my legion of fans!!! All 3 of you! Hey, three can qualify as a legion, if they're spaced properly...

Here's to 700 more, eh?

Dave the Ambling Goof

3 comments:

Dave-O a.k.a. Chimpo said...

Wow....700... Great and awesome work Dave!!! I'm hit an miss on keeping up with reading them so I beg of your forgiveness for that. But anywho, keep up the good work and I shall read when I can. So far, most favorite place I've gotten to read one of your post was.....150ft I'm the air in a lift, waiting on the guys on the ground to get thier stuff together, hahahahahahaha, was going to post a comment on that one but they got ready as I was about to type. Then you know how me head is, I took a breath and forgot hahahhaa. Hope all is well on the home front, and shall catch ya on the flip side.

Anonymous said...

700! It's like a movie title plus 200. Too cool. Congrats are in order. It has been a pleasure to be sure. Thank you muchly for sharing so much of your life and times. :)

David Wagner said...

Dave-O: Read when you can, that's all I ask... since you never know when I'll sneak in a Dave-O reference or comic... you = The Man.

Ann: Sheesh, I'm such an open book before you all! How brave I am! Thanks for the congrats...