Monday, January 23, 2012

"Facts Are Stubborn Things." -- Ronald Reagan


Yes.

Whatever you were about to ask, the answer is yes. There, that saves you the embarrassment of actually having to ask me. I was bitten by a radioactive hipster spider with left-leaning political views and it gave me mind-reading super-powers. I can see right into your brain! I know what you're thinking! MUAHAHAHAH!!!!! Run!!! Run for your lives!

OK, fine, I stretched the truth a wee bit there... I can't read minds. Not even my own.

So, yeah, today was, like, Monday or something, I don't know. I can't read calendars either. It was a rainy Monday, which always alters my mood and makes me want to lie about super-powers-related things, like, say, mind reading. Now, now, I know what you're thinking... you're thinking, "Dave, you are a babbling simpleton who suffers from bowel angst, caffeine addiction and spotty self esteem, so quit jabbering you toolbox, and actually say something of substance, or so help me I will never set foot inside the hallowed walls of this blog again."

That was what you were thinking? My super-power is real after all!

OK, here is a funny pic for you, to assuage your increasing disgust/frustration...


Did it work? Is your anger assuaged? No? OK, fine, more Star Wars stuff, coming up!

I don't know where I've been, when it comes to this next video, but I'm sorry I missed out on it. There was a project called Star Wars Uncut, spearheaded by a chap named Casey Pugh, that is ridiculously creative fun... his goal was to re-create the entire first Star Wars film, one "15-second segment" at a time, using scene snippets submitted from random people around the world, using any style they wanted. The results are amazing (to me) and completely engrossing. Here, skip to a random point in the video and watch for a few minutes...



Talk about diversity, I love it. There are a handful of segments that push the envelope, as far as "family friendly", and only one that I recall (The one referencing The Big Lebowski) that has any offensive language in it, but the vast bulk of it is entirely awesome. My favorite clip might be at 1:29:30, during the light saber fight between Obi Wan and Vader...

The run time for the whole vid is a shade over two hours, so unless you're Logan, I doubt you'll want to watch the entire thing, but you could watch it a bit and see how fun and creative it is. I only found out about it a few days ago, now that the project is complete. I would have loved loved LOVED to have filmed a 15-second segment or two for the project. I'm going to keep an eye out - perhaps after they've taken a break and regrouped, they'll start on Empire Strikes Back... and then I'll definitely sign up.

Speaking of film projects, I've had a couple creative meetings with my friend Todd F. recently, and it looks like we're beginning pre-production on our first legitimate film project. I won't go into too much detail about it at this point, but here's a hint...


Yep, it's about cats.

No, actually, it will be a detective story (no cats), and will be a (hopefully) fun mix of genres/eras. Sort of a modern detective tale, but heavily sprinkled with noir-style black-n-white scenes. It looks like it will be fun. I'll certainly keep you informed as it develops.

I'm kind of amazed at what Todd is capable of doing, as far as post-production special effects. We are going to be able to do A LOT with this script, in ways I've never even been able to consider before. Super stoked about it.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking (I can read minds, remember?) You're wondering why on earth I would start another big creative project when I have a whole plateful of half-finished projects already, crying out for my attention. Honestly, I don't have a good answer for that. I'd like to claim to be a victim of a particularly annoying strain of A.D.D., but that strikes me as a rather sizable cop-out. But I;d like to think there actually is a legitimate reason beyond the basic "I'm just lame, that's all".... the good news is that I'm almost finished with the Camp Video from last year! It's only a half a year behind schedule!!! Are you proud of me!?!?!

No? Well! I guess I'll have to try harder to impress you then!

How about this: Last post, I wrote a very positive review for a book I recently read, and the author left a comment on the post. While that isn't the first time an author has left a comment here, it is the first time that a review I wrote was mentioned on the author's website (in a positive way, I mean, lol)! Check this out! I've been quoted! I'm official now! An official what, you may ask? Heck, I don't know... but once I figure it out, I'll be sure to add "official" in front of it...

And now, two minutes of destruction...



Mixed feelings about real-world footage like that. Odd that I can watch movie violence and explosions and it doesn't phase me... but show me something "real" and I get a bit queasy... loved that train slamming into that barricade at 1:10, probably because it looked like a planned event, for test purposes or something. But the burning passenger plane at 1:28 was rather shocking...
OK, well I think that's enough nonsense for tonight. I'll hit you with more again in a couple days. I know what you're thinking... "Hurry back, Dave!"

Ok!

Dave the Nutter

3 comments:

logankstewart said...

Ugh. Real-world stuff is tough to watch like that. I can vividly recall a video that I genuinely regret watching, because a man is dead now after a dive gone wrong. That was too much. Too much. Same as that video of the guy that went parachuting with a helmet-cam and forgot to put on his chute. It disturbs me. On the other hand, explosions are awesome...

That's great about the review! Next you'll be reviewing for the NYT.

Good luck with the film plans.

Now I need to clear up two hours and cozy up to watch the Star Wars video. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'd never heard of it before, either.

Abbie Josephsen said...

Todd F. will want to complete this project so I have no doubts that it will actually happen and be AMAZING!!!! Please please please can I have a part???? Even if it is just walking by with coffee!!?!?!?! Hope you're having a great week dave! And congrats on the quoteage!! That is way cool :D

David Wagner said...

Logan: Did you watch the Star Wars vid yet? I'd love to hear what you thought.

Abbie: Of course you can have a part! Always room for beyooootiful talented people!