Friday, June 11, 2010

"A Bachelor is a Guy Who Never Made the Same Mistake Once." -- Phyllis Diller


I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up a new blog post over the past couple days, and just stared blankly at the empty box. It's disconcerting, to say the least. I never feel like I'm short of things to say... yet I keep browsing away from the empty blog window, shrugging my shoulders, thinking I'd "get to it later". Well, several "laters" have come and gone.

Makes me wonder if perhaps I've wrung all I can out of this blog. I mean, what else is there to say or to post? I'll always have funny pictures archived... but there are a hundred other blogs and sites that you could go to to see funny pics. Same with funny videos. Same with comics. Blah.

I guess I'll just drop some bullet points and see if any of them trigger a tangent worth ranting on...


  • Going to watch From Paris With Love tonight. Got it in the mail from Netflix. I usually don't do Travolta films, but this one was recommended to me, and I do have a jar of Tums handy, so we'll see.
  • Almost finished with Shadow's Edge, by Brent Weeks... by all rights a grossly mediocre, disappointing book. I had to wade through almost 300 pages of a maddening literary mix of mud and cotton candy before it showed sparks of life. I'll likely finish it tonight, after the film. If I can summon the strength, I'll write a review over the weekend. But be forewarned: it will not be kind.
  • My sister's back in town, for another rug care workshop she's doing with my mom on Saturday. I'll be on hand to photograph the event. If I catch any amusing pics, maybe I'll post them here. I'm sure I'll update Rug Care Central with a more professional recap of the event. My sister also has grand, ambitious plans for the future, involving many projects and big new directions, which will (hopefully) give me so much to do, I'm sure I'll need to assemble a team to help out. Big stuff. I may be contacting a couple people I know soon with a job offer...
  • Still gorging myself on stand-up comedy, from the Comedy Central Presents archive on NetFlix Watch Instantly. Several awesome comics I'd never heard before, and several that suck, and many mediocre ones. Man, that gig must be hard. Like everything else, I guess. Oh, and Logan was right; Demetri Martin is a terrific comic. All kinds of quirky, just like I enjoy...
  • Father's Day, church camp, 40th birthday, 20th Anniversary... boom boom boom boom... line them up and knock them down.
  • Got some new games on sale at Steam. Man, they have amazing sales, if you stumble on them at the right time. Got the GOTY edition of Batman: Arkham Asylum for $20. As of this second, there are terrific deals on Bethesda games (Fallout 3 GOTY $25, Oblivion GOTY $8.50, Morrowind GOTY $5), as well as Metro 2033 $25. Also got a couple map packs for my favorite tower defense game Defense Grid. That, and I've been playing Freecell like a lunatic...


OK, here's something hilarious for those of a methanic bent...


I wish that had happened to me. That would be amazing.

I guess I'm going to run now. I'll tell John Travolta that you said hello...

Dave

10 comments:

Odhynn said...

That's a lot of games for one run ...
Won't they add to your dust-collector material ?

David Wagner said...

I didn't buy all of those games I listed, I was just relaying info on current sales at Steam! Actually, I already have most of them, lol. Yeah, my new games need to age for a while for some reason. I still don't know why -- if you ever figure it out, Dry, let me know, eh! You're smart! I've seen your detailed TQ character builds...

Crystal said...

I'll have to check out The Comedy Central Presents on Netflix. I love the Watch Instantly stuff. I'm too impatient to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.

Ooh, I'm hoping for amusing pics from the rug care workshop!!

Ummm... no joke... my word verification is gaser!!!

havah said...

Dear Dave,

Approaching a new decade in life need not be so hard. Remember: You're celebrating another year you've lived, not another year you've lost.

President Havah
(PS Please send this to me next year when I turn 40. Thank you!)

Now that that's out of the way...

Yes, there are other blogs, but they are not your blog, and so fail quite miserably at keeping us in touch with your whacky self. Duh! :p

Looks like you have a busy future...I do hope you play a Scrabble word soonish though. ;)

PS The failbook post was hilarious, as promised.

PPS Yes, I like italics.

Unknown said...

Not bad for an uninspired post, Dave. I'm like a couple weeks behind on my blog. I keep trying to post something and it never seems to work out.

That FB post was too much.

Abbie said...

Dave, my cousin also recommends Demetri Martin! Kinda cool :)
I still would like to borrow your legion book :)

David Wagner said...

Crystal: Sorry, no funny pics from the rug workshop... just straight-forward, boring stuff... yeah, check out that comedian treasure trove... that will keep you busy for weeks! I should have been making a list of the best ones as I went along... sorry...

Havah: But I don't want to be old yet! I don't want a new decade already! I'm not done with the old one yet! By the way, I always wondered if you liked italics... now I know!

Rebecca: Update your blog, silly! If I can do it, you can do it!

Abbie: I wish you'd have told me! I would have brought it tonight! Maybe I can drop it off at your house when I come by on Wednesday or sumthin... Demetri Martin is great.

logankstewart said...

Yay for Dimitri Martin! Glad you liked him.

Man, if only I played computer games. Indeed, those are some superb deals.

Which reminds me, I think I'm gonna have to go and pre-order New Vegas soon.

Abbie said...

I kept thinking about it, then forgetting to ask, so no worries :) Yeah, whenever you think about it is cool! I'd also LOVE to read a certain book by a certain cool guy named DAVID L. WAGNER! when is more of that coming around?

havah said...

Stop calling me old, Dave!! :p

I like bold too! :D