Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Through Copse and Spinney Marched Bear


Hello? Man, it's so quiet in here... kinda eerie. This place used to be hoppin. Well, I guess everything outlives its purpose, eh? Good thing I can't recognize such things, right!!!1! I mean, I'll keep writing posts in this blog until the end of time! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Actually, when I first started this blog (like, what? 30 years ago? Feels like it, lol), I didn't think anyone but my mom would read anything here. I just had fun entertaining myself. I pictured myself on a small stage in front of an audience made up of a few dozen clones of myself. That way, at least mentally, I would imagine my "audience" laughing at all my nonsense... well, turns out some real live people started finding and enjoying my weird sense of humor and rants and things as well... surprised me as much as anyone. The blog kind of grew from there.

Man, what's with the trip down memory lane, eh? No clue. As usual, I never have any idea what I'm going to post in here before I start. Just open a new post and start typing. Kinda goes where it wants to...

If you suffer from vertigo, don't watch this Go-Pro parkour video. Everyone else, try it...



Crazy Russians.

Speaking of Crazy Russians, I had my initial meeting with the director and two co-stars of that web series I've been hired for. Not really sure what I'm at liberty to share about it... but let me say, this project and the crew are legit, the project is a BIG deal, and really, I should be far more nervous about it than I am. On paper, it's daunting... not only will I need to act my butt off, but speak Russian lines as close to perfectly as possible, and speak the English lines with a legit Russian accent... I need to research a lot about the Russian military and culture in the pre-fall era and the immediate aftermath, plus my character has suffered a strong personal tragedy that needs to be factored into how I approach the character development and presentation. That's just the tip of the iceberg... but you know what? Inside, I am thoroughly confident that I can do it. Chances are, being new to projects like this lends an "ignorance is bliss" aspect to my confidence level...

Bottom line, it's amazing to me that I've been cast in such a big project right out of the gate. We have our first cast meeting and script read-through set for the first weekend in December. We will begin filming the first episode in late January, and will film Fri-Sat-Sun every weekend until all 8 episodes are in the can. Plus, pre-production on the first movie will begin as well. Whether I'm involved in the film(s) or not, I'm not sure. A lot depends on if my character survives the web series, if I do a good job, and if the "fans" (here and overseas) like me and the character I create.

OMG, it's all so exciting, I'm beside myself! When the website goes live for the film/series project, I will link to it here... you will not believe how amazing it is. I cannot wait to dig into this. More info as it develops (and as I clear it with the director/producers).


What else? Well, just wrapping up a video editing project for some church friends who are trying to win a spot on the show Desperate Landscapes. If they get chosen for the show, they get a landscaping makeover, which they actually really do desperately need. Once the video I made for them is posted up to YouTube, I'll link to it, so you can admire my mad editing skillz...

Plus, been rehearsing for the Christmas play twice a week, working on line art pictures for another church friend's book he wrote, gaming with the D&D crew every other Wednesday, taking acting classes Thursday nights, working out with my trainer every Monday, drinking Starbucks like a fiend (don't tell my trainer), trying to cheer up a manic-depressive friend, and prepping for yet another audition I have in 2 days (for a short film, to film the end of November). So my plate is full! Plus, I got another voice job lined up. It will be my third radio program I've done for/with the great Glenn Hascall...

Currently reading a David Gemmell book called Knights of Dark Renown, and sadly, I'm unimpressed. Way too many characters, and it's a thinly-veiled story parallel of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, not very well done. Stilted dialog, shallow character development... I'm about to give up on it and move onto something else.

Like you needed to know that... sorry... winging it again...

And now, a 12 minute studio recording of John Butler's Ocean.



If you listened to it, you're welcome! If you didn't, well, why not? You likely won't hear anything like it anywhere else. See? I provide a service! Narcissistic rants about my life, semi-amusing vids and pics, and great music!

I can't think of anything else to share. Gonna let you off the hook.

Adios for now.

Dave the Fuzzbrain

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd pay a respectful 1 minute listen - ended up staying the entire 12. Captivating.

Who is Glen Haskell?

Looking forward to viewing all of your work.

BA

David Wagner said...

Beth: He's a little grungy looking, but there's no denying the talent John Butler has. That's quite a song. This version is my current fave -- every time he plays it, the song is a little different...

Glenn Hascall is an online acquaintance of mine who creates radio programs, writes scripts, does old-time radio dramas and cool things for kids and adults alike. Just finished the second project (did a British accent again, lol), and this next one (he says) will be more substantial.

And as for the web series, I can't wait until I have work to show people!

Michelle said...

I'm so excited for you! Look at how much has changed in such a short period of time. I'd tell you that you're on a roll, but my daughter swears that's the kiss of death to say such a thing. So, "Way to go Dave!!" And I know how excited you are because you typed OMG in your post. (lol) Can't wait to hear more about it. Have an amazing and wonderful day.